Wednesday, September 5, 2012

#4 Ghandi Love

#4 Love: My Religion and Political Standpoint

English 102
Gary Brown

Love: My Religion and Political Standpoint
A Response to being a “Libertarian”


                After taking the self test on political standpoints my results favored that of a Libertarian.  Once I looked up the definition, I found out that a certain religious icon by the name of Ghandi was also a Libertarian. Libertarianism refers to the group of theorists that accentuate liberty, independence and peace. Due to my strong religious beliefs, I believe in the non violent approach. Ghandi put it best when he stated “that an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.”  Judgment should be left up to God and Him only. When you love it is easy to forgive and it takes a real human being to exhibit the amount of love it takes to look past someone’s faults and even more importantly someone who has undeservingly wronged you. My mother instilled these views in me from a young age and they have stuck with me for life. It is the very foundation on which my core values were built. Love will cover a multitude of faults. With love we will be able to preserve the very essence of valued life for our children and our children’s children.
                                                From the beginning of time parents have loved us and taught us that we can be any and everything we want to be in life. Libertarianism encourages this very behavior by promoting independence.  Through these promotions we support our kids to choose what life allows them to love, work and dream. When our society has the love and encouragement they need they are better equipped to dream and not only dream but achieve those dreams. In the end the true definition behind the Libertarian party is to live and let live. Love and be loved. Ghandi also wisely stated that we must be the change we want to see. My political standpoints ties in heavily with my religious beliefs but in the end the foundation is love.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great response! My only concern is that you recognize that in America when people say libertarian they generally think of the Libertarian Party whose primary concern is the protection of "private property" and who want to defund and/or dismantle all government structures designed to aid and/or protect American citizens.

    On the test you were mapped in the section for social libertarianism (I know this because you said you were next to Ghandhi) -- this is very different from the "economic libertarianism" of the American libertarian party.

    Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about these distinctions.

    Credit

    ReplyDelete